Thank you, Ava DuVernay.
A sincere round of applause for yet another stunning film. Please everyone reading this, go watch 13th on Netflix.
I have no words to encompass this film as a whole. I cried, I got angry, I nodded my head, and now is the time for action. My ideas have sprouted and I will reopen my Etsy shop. Stay tuned for that.
I will now leave you all with some brain food.
- “(The prison system)… is a system of dehumanization and deprivation of senses…
- “…it is not enough to deprive you of your liberty.”
- Incarcerated people wear this “scarlet letter”
- Interviewees elaborate on the fact that the question “Have you ever been convicted of a felony?” tags individuals who have already paid their dues. Individuals are forced to be restricted from student loans, business licenses, food stamps, housing, and the right to vote.
- “…(The U.S.) has not ended racial caste, but redesigned it.”
- “Every 1 in 3 young black males go to jail or prison in their lifetime.”
- [Reporter] “Black males constitute roughly around 6.5% of the U.S. population, however, constitute 40.2% of the prison population.”
- “97% of the prison population has not had a trial.”
We see these statistics every day out on the streets. African-American men and women are demonized in the media. The current administration has targeted you, but your fight has been long-lived. Protect yourself through knowledge. Black is only a color, a matter of pigmentation, and biological inheritance. You are all brothers and sisters to me. You are all beautiful. I stand with you. I fight for you.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to injustice everywhere.”
-Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.